HOW IT BEGAN:
Each year, Lehosheet Yad provides a life changing experience for children who are suffering from severe, sometimes fatal, illnesses.
An organization born and bred in Israel, under the directorship of Rabbi Avraham Attar, Lehosheet Yad, literally meaning to ‘extend a hand’, takes the idea of ‘giving’ to a whole new level.
The Israeli organization, started in 2005 by a group of volunteers, aims to relieve the day to day suffering and tension surrounding the family of a child who is suffering from acute illness, namely cancer and cerebral palsy. Lehosheet Yad seeks to provide:
• Individual attention to the cancer patients and their needs
• Support for patients and their families
• Helping ease the families’ financial and logistical burden
• Activities and a game room at the hospital
• Bringing performers to the patient wards
Rabbi Attar oversees the staff and their training, ensuring the volunteers and the members who are doing their National Service for Israel in this setting, are always there and ready to give a hand.